Aadhaar Card is introduced by Govt. of India in 2009. In present days, Aadhaar Card is probably the most used Govt. ID document in India. Aadhaar Card is required to avail many Govt. facilities, paying your taxes etc. through your bank account etc. because you can easily authenticate the different verifications required for availing govt. facilities, SIM CARD for you mobile phone and many other things by biometric authentication.
Though Aadhaar Card stores your biometrics such as, fingerprints, iris data to a secured database, several allegations has been raised against security of citizens personal informations which can be leaked and misused.
Addressing that vulnerability, UIDAI came up with a lock/unlock option for your biometric data. When your biometrics is locked, no one can authenticate your Aadhaar details. Your Aadhaar Card data is not accessible by anyone. You Can now lock your biometrics data, unlock when you required to authenticate something using Aadhaar and lock again, so that your informations stays secured.
To lock/unlock your Aadhaar biometric data, you must have your mobile number linked with your Aadhaar Card Database. If you don’t have mobile number linked with Aadhaar, visit your nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. You can use UIDAI website or ‘mAadhaar’ mobile application to lock/unlock your biometrics.
To do it through UIDAI Website, Follow the below steps:
- Go to UIDAI
- Find the Option ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’ under ‘Aadhaar Services Section ‘.
- Enter your 12-digit Aaadhar Number and security code displayed in the respective field and click on ‘Send OTP’.
- Enter the OPT received on you your registered mobile number and click on ‘Login’.
- Now you are logged in to your Aadhaar account. You will see the options ‘Lock/Unlock’ & ‘Disable’. Enter the security code and click on ‘Lock/Unlock’ or ‘Disable’ button to lock, unlock or disable you biometric data.
Through ‘mAadhaar’ Mobile App:
- Go to play store and download mAadhaar app.
- Login to your Aadhaar Number followed by OTP for authentication and set a new password. Will you receive on-screen direction during the process.
- Go to ‘three-dot’ menu on the top-right corner. Click on ‘Biometric Settings’
- Check or uncheck ‘Biometric Lock’ option to lock or unlock your Aadhaar biometric data.
- Upon successful locking of your biometric data, a small lock icon will be displayed on your Aadhar Card.